Tuesday, December 21, 2010

December 21st. Ugh.


Are you kidding me?! First day of winter, give me a break.
I've already had like 38 days of winter.

Winter is wearing a bulky jacket and freezing anyway.
Winter is scraping off your car.
Winter is praying the gas fills your tank faster than it ever has before. Even faster than last time when you thought you were the coldest you could possibly be.
Winter is getting the kiddos all bundled up. And then unbundling them.
And then rebundling them.
Winter is sending your 4ker to school with his jacket and snow pants and hat and mittens and boots and then finding out from his teacher he didn't have his mittens. What?!
SO negative Mom Points.

There is one reason to celebrate this day, the first day of winter.
It is the shortest day of the year...so it can only get better from here.
Tomorrow? It will have a couple more moments of sunshine in it.

well, now, isn't that snow just so pretty glistening on the tree like that.
Did I mention it's cold?! (big huff)

I'm sure when I was little I enjoyed making snow angels, too.



But I'd rather sit under the Christmas tree (in the warmth of my home) reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar.


Charity would rather eat it, but that's just because she's 8 months old and teething. I'm pretty sure the snow doesn't impress her either. Why? Cause she's my daughter, that's why.


For all you winter lovers out there, congrats on today. I'm sure you are inwardly rejoicing that today is just the beginning of the frigid fun. Well, yay for you.

For the rest of us, I bring a warm & cozy crockpot soup to make up for the shortest (yet sadly, not the coldest) day of the year.


Mexicali Chicken Soup

Put in the crockpot:

Frozen boneless, skinless chicken (I used 4 chicken chests)

2 cans diced tomatos with juice

Chicken broth (2 cans or the container you see on the left side of the pic)

1 cup salsa

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp cumin


Can of black beans

Can of corn
Rinse, drain and add to crockpot

Set the crockpot on low for 8-10 hours or high for 6-8 hours.


Before serving, pull chicken out and shred (easily) with a fork and knife. Return to crockpot, and think to yourself, "that's it? how easy was that?!"


Call it dinner.

If you want, really impress the crowd at your table with some cornbread and a sprinkling of cheese and a dallop of sour cream on top.


If you've got family visiting you for Christmas, this is the way to go.

Happy Tutorial Tuesday!

2 comments: