Friday, September 16, 2011

pumpkin spice latte. perfected. i promise.

i can get a little obsessed with pumpkin this time of year
and coffee is another obsession.
so when we're talking about combining the two.....
well, let's just say i believe i have
perfected the pumpkin spice latte
(insert slight bragging tone)

to join me in this quest for perfection....
assemble the following:
skim milk, 4 cups
canned pumpkin, 4 T (make pumpkin bread with remaining)
 6 T sugar (I used a splenda knock-off)
vanilla, 4 T
spices: 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, pinch of ginger 

you want to make some strong coffee....
i've found that instant coffee is the best
{you will need 1 and a half cups}
my perfected recipe:
2 heaping tablespoons instant coffee
1 1/2 cup water
microwave for 2 minutes, stir to dissolve
combine all ingredients in a saucepan
whisk together until well blended
while simmering over medium heat for 8ish minutes

at this point you will have a pumpkin spice latte
but you will probably only want to drink
about 4/5 of your steamy mug
because the pumpkin settles at the bottom.
awkward.
enter a final (and in my opinion much-needed) step:
straining
 (Charity was riveted by this process...)
I simply placed a couple paper towels in the bottom of my colander
placed over a glass pitcher
and allowed the yummy latte to pass through
while reserving the pumpkin for the garbage
(this is why I simmered the drink for 8ish minutes on the stove....
to give the flavor to the liquid)
i changed the paper towel about 3 or 4 times
until my latte was free of pumpkin lumpyness
but not magnificent pumpkin flavorness.

it's good.
enjoy the perfection.
you're welcome.
(original inspiration found HERE)

moving on....
i'm really digging all my new picnik options
now that i've stepped up and bought the $24.95 yearly membership
{thanks, sweet hubby, for the birthday gift!}
this is a collage from last weekend when we did 
Great America 2011
with my side of the fam.
4 words:
raging bull. back row.

WOW
and my voice is just recovering now
(a mere 6 days later)

and now just to make this post a little more exciting
and longer.
a peek at our week:
1.  homemade birthday cards from the boys.
(love the giant red 'mommy' on caleb's card)
2.  text from my dad the morning of my birthday
(cracks me up that my rents texts.  word.)
3.  older 2 boys thumb-wrestling at Panera Bread.  classic 
4.  awesome deal on cute anti-bac gels at Bath & Body Works
5.  meeting Justin for lunch with just the younger 2 kiddos.  fun stuff
6.  Chicka Chicka Boom Boom  Matthias loves it. Char is not amused. 
7.  puzzles.  because working on letter sounds can be fun.
8.  lunchbox notes begin again.   Jonathan assured me he still likes them.  phew.
5683--code for 'i love you.' 
9.  can this girl get any cuter?!  she's even toats adorbs noshing on a bagel.
at Panera.  while the boys were wrestling with thumbs.
-------------------------------------------------------
well, that's about it.
if you want to read a life-changer post
check one out HERE (have tissue handy)
mercy. 
having read this blog and followed her inspiring story for awhile
i was pretty moved to tears and moved to pray for her family

on that note
have a super weekend choosing joy.
living for Jesus no matter what, making everyday count.
because that's what really matters, right?!

6 comments:

  1. Hello Saturday morning coffee! This looks so delicious, I'm going to give it a go this weekend! Thanks for sharing the recipe friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the picnik gift is an awesome idea! Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a very creative mom with that code in the lunch note!! We just agree not to say the "L" word on school grounds. Now I want a code.
    Love your b-day gift and the latte sounds great. I don't know if I will try it soon as I'm having a hard time finding pumpkin. It is o--u-t of stock. I've tried 3 different store this week. WEIRD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A daughter-in-law who wanted to score some points might might think about, I'm just sayin' maybe would want to, could possibly consider... sharing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. would this be gross sans the coffee? because that's the only way it's going to work for me. or maybe pumpkin spice hot chocolate? hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I support the straining! You could also make this with the left over pumpkin...to die for! http://penniesonaplatter.com/2010/10/01/pumpkin-scones-2/

    ReplyDelete