Wednesday, June 15, 2011

keen-wa?!


keen-wa
it's how you pronounce 'quinoa'
this whole grain that I'm totally digging right now

there are some recipes on the back of the box of different things you can make
but I was served this quinoa salad at a friend's house for lunch
and have made it twice since
--because it's that good--
first, you need to know where to find this ancient grain
and you can locate it near the rice
it's made a lot like rice
the first step is to mix together one part quinoa
to two parts water
(I did 1 cup quinoa, 2 cups water)

mix together
cover loosely with cling wrap
and microwave for 8 minutes
when it comes out, give it a stir and let it sit
for 12 minutes
heat it up again for 2 minutes
stir again
place in fridge to cool

here's some goodies I found to add to the quinoa:
1 cup corn
handful of shredded cheese
3 pieces broccoli  (see next pic)
2  roma tomatoes (the first time I subbed canned tomatoes because that's what I had)
1 cup italian dressing


chop up the broccoli super small
and the tomato pretty small as well
--this is a great salad to make because you can sub what you've got on hand--
carrots, peppers, cucumbers, etc

mix it all up together and serve alongside Nacho Cheese Doritos
at an outdoor dinner of brats and baked beans

beautiful summer night
great food
super company
quinoa

does it get any better?

have a SUPER wednesday saying quinoa
(keen-wa)
over and over and over again
cause that's what my husband likes to do
(it is a fun word to say)

two cool dudes just chillin

4 comments:

  1. I've seen that in a lot of mags recently. Your mix looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I have never even heard of this but if you say it is good... :)
    If I can remember to look for it next time I go to the store I might give it a try. (I forgot the eggs this week- whoops!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gunna have to try!!! We've (well, I've) been on a couscous kick lately!

    ReplyDelete
  4. we're big quinoa fans in the Jackson house! You should check out Heidi Swanson's blog '101 Cookbooks'
    She has some great Quinoa recipes. This one being our favorite: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/heathers-quinoa-recipe.html

    I swap out the tofu for grilled chicken, left out the pumpkin seeds, and swapped red onion for the shallots and used a store bought pesto sauce. It was sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete